Staff Attorney, Immigration Unit – De Novo
De Novo, a community-based organization that provides integrated legal, mental health, and support services to empower our clients to achieve their goals seeks a full-time staff attorney in our immigration unit. De Novo strives to create a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and safe work environment that welcomes, encourages, and values everyone’s contributions and fosters an exchange of ideas and mutual learning. We strongly encourage qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds to apply.
- Provide legal advice and consults to clients on asylum and other immigration matters.
- Provide legal representation in asylum, VAWA, U-Visa and SIJ matters before USCIS, ICE and EOIR.
- Train, mentor, and supervise volunteer attorneys, students and other volunteers.
- Participate in community outreach events and Know Your Rights trainings.
- Maintain and establish relationships with community partners.
- Participate in relevant coalitions and taskforces such as IMCO.
- Participate in work that addresses larger issues faced by the client community, including working with other legal services offices and community-based agencies on systemic problems and advocacy efforts that impact clients.
- Make referrals for clients as appropriate to counseling and case management staff for safety planning, case management, therapy, and other services.
- Maintain database with respect to attorney’s cases, trainings and outreach activities.
- Assist in the preparation of funding and/or program development proposals and grant reports and conduct activities required by grants.
- Participate in staff, legal program, and immigration unit meetings.
- Admitted to Massachusetts bar (or a bar of another state).
- Two or more years of experience in immigration law.
- Experience working with and/or representing a broad range of people from diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds, people with disabilities, and people with low incomes.
- Strong writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Team player with an ability to multitask in a fast pace environment.
- Ability to supervise effectively.
- Strong computer skills.
- Fluency in a language reflecting our client populations preferred (e.g. Spanish, Portuguese and Haitian Creole)
HOURS, SALARY, AND BENEFITS: The position is 35 hours/week. Salary range is $72,000 (w/ 2 years’ experience) – $80,000 dependent on experience. Excellent fringe benefit package, including 100% employer paid health insurance for employee and families, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance, vacation, personal, and sick time, 403(b) plan, Flexible Spending Plan, training and professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Applicants should submit 1) a cover letter addressing experience and interests relevant to the position, 2) writing sample and 3) a resume, by e-mail to John Froio, Deputy Director, at email@example.com. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For more information about De Novo refer to our website: www.denovo.org
De Novo is a Fair Employment Practices/Equal Employment Opportunity/disability accessible employer committed to maintaining a diverse workplace. Qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.