Job Summary: The Staff Attorney is responsible for working with the Faculty Director and Associate Director (and other staff of the Veterans Legal Clinic) to operate the Veterans Legal Clinic, including, but not limited to, activities related to client representation and project management. The Clinic’s team of seasoned attorneys and its paralegal/intake coordinator will provide support, guidance, and mentorship as needed. The position represents a unique opportunity to work in a dynamic public interest and clinical teaching law office and to advocate on behalf of those who have sacrificed for their country.
As Staff Attorney, you will:
– Assist in the management of the Clinic’s day-to-day work, including screening new cases and representing clients in ongoing cases;
– Focus primarily on advocating for veterans who received less than fully honorably discharges;
– Provide ongoing representation of clients in discharge upgrade cases, VA character of service determinations, Massachusetts state veterans benefit cases, and related areas;
– Support our Veterans Justice Pro Bono Partnership, through which attorneys in the private bar take accept discharge upgrades case for pro bono representation through referral from our Clinic.
Candidates must have a J.D. and be admitted to the Massachusetts bar or have the ability to receive temporary admission pursuant to Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court Rule 3:04. Three years of related experience required.
We are looking for people who have:
– Prior experience working on veterans’ law cases.
– Prior experience working in civil legal services or in pro bono initiatives, and/or a connection to the veterans’ community.
– The ability to thrive in a high-volume public interest litigation practice.
– Flexibility and the ability to handle multiple priorities.
– The ability to work well independently and as part of a team.
Be a part of excellence and leadership in legal education and scholarship at Harvard Law School. We are a community of talented people from diverse backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives, dedicated to advancing the cause of justice all over the world. We value our differences and our diversity as a source of strength. We are committed to developing and inspiring our students and our workforce. Whoever you are, whatever you do, however you do it, Harvard Law School is a place where you can thrive.
This is a term appointment expected to extend through December 31, 2020. Candidates must be available to start as soon as possible (ideally in August), and be licensed to practice in Massachusetts (active status). Since most HLS employees are currently expected to work remotely throughout the fall semester, it is not necessary for the attorney to live in the Greater Boston area during this term appointment.
While this is posted as a full-time position, we are open to considering part-time (17.5 – 30 hours) based on candidate availability and a mutually agreed upon schedule. Interested candidates should state in their cover letter whether they are seeking a full-time position, a part-time position, or are open to either possibility.
All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.
Job Code365057 Legal Professional
Appointment End Date31-Dec-2020
Education, Identity, License/Cert.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Apply and find more details here.