Title: Staff Attorney
Status: Full-time (preferred, but flexible)
Location: Primarily Remote/Available to appear at hearings and meetings throughout Massachusetts
The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts and in Oregon and national training and support for lawyers and advocates on the civil legal needs of rape and sexual assault victims. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to survivors of sexual violence to help rebuild their lives; and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim. All applicants must agree with the VRLC’s mission and philosophy regarding our commitment to improving the response to sexual violence, empowerment, and inclusiveness. This position will be filled by an attorney with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, and a commitment to addressing the needs of marginalized communities. The VRLC deeply values diverse voices and perspectives on our team. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodations. For assistance, contact email@example.com.
- Provide sexual assault survivors with legal consultations, representation, and referrals in one or more of the following areas: safety (258E/209A), privacy (Commonwealth v. Dwyer hearings), housing, employment, immigration, education (K-12 and campus), public benefits
- Conduct intakes with sexual assault and stalking survivors
- Participate in intake and case assessment meetings
- Participate in the collection of accurate client services data
- Work collaboratively with a team of lawyers and paralegals
- Conduct strategic outreach to community partners throughout Massachusetts and foster strong relationships with other organizations working in the field of gender-based violence
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts and in good standing
- 0-3 years of applicable litigation experience
- Experience and/or demonstrated commitment to working with trauma survivors and/or marginalized communities (e.g. LGBTQIA+, communities of color, people with disabilities, youth)
- Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving throughout the Commonwealth, if required
- Courtroom experience
Salary Range: $52,000-$60,000, depending on experience. Salary range based on full-time 1.0 FTE. Part-time compensation based on employee FTE.
Hybrid Work: VRLC has a Hybrid Work Policy. “Hybrid Work” is a flexible workplace model that is supportive and inclusive of employees fulfilling their job responsibilities in-office, remotely, or at another location (partner agency) for all or part of their regularly scheduled work hours. Employees have a choice in selecting a working environment that helps them be most productive while meeting the needs of the VRLC and prioritizing both a survivor-centered approach to work and survivor privacy. For this role, the candidate must be available to attend meetings and hearings in Massachusetts with clients as needed as well as occasional meetings in one of our VRLC offices (Boston and/or Belchertown).
Benefits: The VRLC provides competitive benefits, including health and dental insurance; long and short-term disability insurance; generous paid holiday, vacation, and sick leave; 403(b) plan with employer match; and a caring and innovative work environment.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org with both your last name and “MA Staff Attorney” as the subject of your email. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your application. No phone calls please.