Staff Attorney – VRLC
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Western Massachusetts/Hybrid
The Victim Rights Law Center (VRLC) is a nonprofit law center that provides free legal representation to victims of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts and in Oregon and national training and support for lawyers and advocates on the civil legal needs of rape and sexual assault victims. The VRLC’s mission is to provide legal representation to survivors of sexual violence to help rebuild their lives; and to promote a national movement committed to seeking justice for every rape and sexual assault victim.
All applicants must agree with the VRLC’s mission and philosophy regarding our commitment to improving the response to sexual violence, empowerment, and inclusiveness. This position will be filled by a candidate with a strong work ethic, a passion for mission-driven work, and a commitment to addressing the needs of marginalized communities. The VRLC deeply values diverse voices and perspectives on our team. People of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. The VRLC will gladly assist applicants in need of accommodation. For assistance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Staff Attorney will be part of the VRLC’s Massachusetts direct services team which provides direct representation to victims of rape and sexual assault throughout Massachusetts. The Staff Attorney will specialize in privacy, safety, and one other area of law.
- Provide sexual assault survivors with legal consultations, representation, and referrals in one or more of the following areas: safety (258E/209A), privacy (Commonwealth v. Dwyer hearings), housing, employment, immigration, public benefits
- Conduct intakes with sexual assault and stalking survivors
- Participate in case assessment meetings
- Participate in the collection of accurate client services data
- Work collaboratively with a team of lawyers and paralegals
- Conduct strategic outreach to community partners throughout Massachusetts and foster strong relationships with other organizations working in the field of gender-based violence
- Admitted to practice law in Massachusetts and in good standing
- 0-3 years of applicable litigation experience
- Experience and/or demonstrated commitment to working with trauma survivors and/or marginalized communities (e.g. LGBTQIA+, communities of color, people with disabilities, youth)
- Valid driver’s license and comfortable driving throughout the Commonwealth, if required
- Courtroom experience
- Fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, or Haitian Creole
$55,000 – $64,000
- 19 paid vacation days
- 12 paid holidays per year
- Generous sick time
- Paid parental leave
- Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 403b Retirement Plan with employer match
- Organization-sponsored life insurance
- A fun, caring, and innovative work environment
Hybrid Work: The VRLC has a Hybrid Work Policy. “Hybrid Work” is a flexible workplace model that is supportive and inclusive of employees fulfilling their job responsibilities in-office, remotely, or at another location (partner agency) for all or part of their regularly scheduled work hours. Employees have a choice in selecting a working environment that helps them be most productive while meeting the needs of the VRLC and prioritizing both a survivor-centered approach to work and survivor privacy. Staff Attorneys are expected to attend in-person court hearings statewide. Occasional in-person team meetings will be required.
TO APPLY: Send your cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to email@example.com with both your last name and “MA Staff Attorney” as the subject of your email. Please indicate where you saw this posting in your application. No phone calls, please.