South Coastal Counties Legal Services, Inc. (SCCLS), a growing non-profit legal aid program providing free civil legal assistance to eligible low-income and elder residents seeks to hire permanent Staff Attorneys to represent clients with housing, benefits and other priority legal matters in all of its offices.
SCCLS and its subsidiary, the Justice Center of Southeast Massachusetts (JCSM), with a staff of nearly 80 and 4 offices in Brockton, Fall River, New Bedford and Hyannis, is the principal provider of free, civil legal aid to low-income residents of Southeastern Massachusetts, Cape Cod, and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. SCCLS’ core mission is to achieve justice for eligible clients through community-based advocacy. The organization prioritizes legal services in: housing, public benefits, elder law, domestic relations, employment, education, immigration, and consumer matters. The organization seeks attorneys committed to providing high quality legal representation with an understanding of economic and racial justice and centering community.
- Admitted in MA or eligible for admission; prior poverty law and/or litigation experience preferred;
- Experience representing vulnerable or marginalized populations desirable; commitment to working with clients who may have experienced poverty, trauma or discrimination required;
- Ability to work independently and as a team member; goal and detail oriented with ability to prioritize; supervisory and/or leadership experience desirable;
- Commitment to race equity, anti-racism and economic justice in the workplace and in providing legal services;
- Ability to engage effectively in person and remotely with people from diverse cultures, with diverse opinions and values, including with staff, volunteers, students, community members and funders;
- Fluency in a second language which reflects our client communities (Spanish, Portuguese, Cape Verdean Creole, Haitian Creole, Vietnamese, Khmer) preferred;
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: SCCLS offers competitive compensation based on comparable public interest salaries and commensurate with experience. Multi-lingual annual increment to base salary may be added for demonstrated language skills. Generous benefits and leave offered.
APPLY: Submit letter of interest, resume and legal writing sample by email to: LThelin@sccls.org with Subject Line: Staff Attorneys. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
SCCLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from a broad range of backgrounds and experiences. We strive to foster a healthy, inclusive environment where all staff, clients, and community members are valued, empowered and recognized.