Summer Law Clerk (Paid), Access to Care and Coverage Practice – Health Law Advocates
Massachusetts’ leading organization advocating for health care justice is hiring Law Clerks for the Summer of 2023.
Health Law Advocates (HLA) is a dynamic non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to provide pro bono legal ervices to Massachusetts residents with low incomes who face difficulties accessing or paying for health care. Founded in 1996, HLA provides individual representation and legal counsel for hundreds of clients annually. HLA also engages in system-wide litigation, public policy advocacy, and educational programming to advance its goals. For more information visit: https://www.healthlawadvocates.org/.
HLA is committed to diversity in its workforce. A crucial part of HLA’s vision is supporting cultural and linguistic competence, as well as ensuring diversity of staff and volunteers, with the goal of best serving our clients’ health care access needs. We encourage applications from people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTQIA+, and people who speak English as a second language.
HLA’s Summer Law Clerk program aims to contribute to the development of law students into public interest attorneys who serve people facing barriers to care and coverage. Clerkships are available with our Access to Care and Coverage Practice (ACC) and our Mental Health Advocacy Program for Kids (MHAP for Kids). Candidates who apply to both must state their preference in their cover letter.
HLA is currently operating in a hybrid model with staff working both on-site and remotely. Arrangements for the Summer Law Clerks are flexible. HLA ran highly successful remote and hybrid Law Clerk programs in the summers of 2020, 2021, and 2022.
About Our Access to Care and Coverage Practice
HLA’s Access to Care and Coverage Practice (ACC) specializes in challenging errors in health insurance enrollment, fighting denials of coverage for health care services, and protecting patients from illegal medical billing and collection practices. We serve people with coverage under Medicaid (MassHealth) and private health insurance. Our ACC team devotes particular attention to the health care problems faced by immigrants, trans and gender diverse people, and patients with long-term care needs. A top priority for all of HLA is pursuing racial and ethnic equity in health care.
The Summer Law Clerk: Responsibilities
Health Law Advocates (HLA) seeks two Law Clerks to work full-time for 10 weeks with HLA’s Access to Care and Coverage Practice during the summer of 2023. The Law Clerks will assist attorneys in the representation of individual clients with duties including legal research, analyzing health insurance and medical billing records, advocating with health insurers and health care providers, drafting letters and other communications to parties, and connecting with clients and key collaterals by phone and email. Law Clerks will participate in advocacy to reform public policies through legal research, writing, and attending meetings with state leaders and advocacy partners.
The Summer Law Clerk: Qualifications
All HLA employees are expected to have the skills to:
- Work both independently and as an effective team member
- Collaborate with and support staff at all levels of our organization
- Communicate clearly and professionally
- Demonstrate empathy and sensitivity while working directly with clients encountering crises
- Maintain confidentiality and, for attorneys, strict adherence to all professional responsibility requirements for the practice of law
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and openness, with the desire and ability to listen and learn
- Understand and believe in the mission of the organization
- Embody the values of the organization, including a commitment to decreasing inequity in our health care system and society as a whole
In addition, requirements specific to this position are:
- Completion of 1L or 2L year in law school
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Interest in the health care/insurance systems and passion for alleviating barriers to care.
- Multilingual ability (preferred)
This position pays $6,000 (pre-tax) for a full-time 10-week Clerkship.
Visit https://www.healthlawadvocates.org/about/career-opportunities and follow the instructions there. Applications submitted by any other means will not be considered.
Please include a cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.