Massachusetts’ leading organization advocating for health care justice is hiring Law Clerks for the Summer of 2022.
Health Law Advocates (HLA) is a dynamic non-profit, public interest law firm whose mission is to provide pro bono legal services to Massachusetts residents with low incomes who face difficulties accessing or paying for health care. Founded in 1996, HLA provides individual representation and advice for hundreds of clients annually. HLA also engages in system-wide litigation, public policy advocacy, and educational programming to advance its goals. For more information visit https://www.healthlawadvocates.org/.
HLA is committed to diversity in its workforce. A crucial part of HLA’s vision is supporting cultural and linguistic competence, as well as ensuring diversity of staff and volunteers, with the goal of best serving our clients’ health care access needs. Persons of color, women, individuals with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and people who speak English as a second language are encouraged to apply.
HLA’s Summer Law Clerk program aims to contribute to the development of law students into public interest attorneys who serve people facing barriers to care and coverage. Clerkships are available with our General Legal Practice Team and our Mental Health Advocacy Program for Kids (MHAP for Kids). Candidates who apply to both must state their preference in their cover letter.
HLA is currently operating in a hybrid model with staff working both on-site and remotely. Arrangements for the Summer Law Clerks are flexible. HLA ran highly successful remote Law Clerk programs in the summers of 2020 and 2021.
About MHAP for Kids
HLA’s Mental Health Advocacy Program for Kids (MHAP for Kids) diverts children with unmet mental health needs from the juvenile justice system by helping them access mental health services. MHAP for Kids attorneys are embedded in Family Resource Centers (FRCs) across Massachusetts where they help at-risk youth overcome barriers to mental health services. A Boston University study of MHAP for Kids found that the program improves the health of children and their families.
The Summer Law Clerk: Responsibilities
Health Law Advocates (HLA) seeks two Law Clerks to work full-time for 10 weeks with MHAP for Kids during the summer of 2022. The Law Clerks will work with the program’s attorneys in a variety of ways. They will assist attorneys with the representation of individual clients with duties such as conducting legal research, analyzing children’s health and educational records, assisting attorneys’ advocacy with schools and state agencies, and communicating with clients and key collaterals. Law Clerks will also conduct legal research on issues that pervade MHAP for Kids client matters to strengthen our practice program-wide.
The Summer Law Clerk: Qualifications
All HLA employees are expected to have the skills to:
- Work both independently and as an effective team member
- Collaborate with and support staff at all levels of our organization
- Communicate clearly and professionally
- Demonstrate empathy and sensitivity while working directly with clients encountering crises
- Maintain confidentiality and, for attorneys, strict adherence to all professional responsibility requirements for the practice of law
- Demonstrate intellectual curiosity and openness, with the desire and ability to listen and learn.
- Understand and believe in the mission of the organization
- Embody the values of the organization, including a commitment to decreasing inequity in our health care system and society as a whole
In addition, requirements specific to this position are:
- Completion of 1L or 2L year in law school
- Demonstrated interest in public interest law
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Knowledge of health care/insurance system and systemic barriers to health care.
- Bilingual ability (preferred)
This position pays $6,000 (pre-tax) for a full-time 10-week Clerkship.
Go to https://www.healthlawadvocates.org/about/career-opportunities and follow the instructions there. Applications submitted by any other means will not be considered.
Please include a cover letter. Applications without cover letters will not be considered.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the positions are filled.