ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: De Novo is a community-based agency that provides free legal services and affordable mental health counseling for low-income people throughout the Greater Boston/Cambridge area. De Novo strives to create a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and safe work environment that welcomes, encourages, and values everyone’s contributions and fosters an exchange of ideas and mutual learning.
THE POSITION: De Novo seeks a highly organized, detail-oriented, self-motivated professional who has a strong belief in the mission and principles of the organization and committed to assisting the most vulnerable, particularly during these uncertain and challenging times. Reporting to the Legal Director and the Assistant Legal Director, the Supervising Attorney will supervise and coordinate the operations of the housing unit. De Novo has been growing over the past several years and is looking for a leader who will help foster this growth.
- Represent clients in judicial and administrative proceedings involving evictions, access to public and subsidized housing, and termination of housing subsidies, and in Social Security/SSI disability cases, from reconsideration through judicial review.
- Supervise and evaluate housing and disability unit staff
- Recruit, train, supervise, and support volunteer lawyers
- Collaborate with community-based social services and other legal services programs.
- Participating in coalitions and task forces; working with community-based and legal service organizations; conducting outreach and community legal education.
- Oversee De Novo’s Lawyer for the Day Clinic at the Eastern Division of the Massachusetts Housing Court.
- Collect required data and assist with the preparation of grant reports as needed
- Coordinate with Counseling Program on ongoing and new ways to augment interdisciplinary collaboration, including case management services
- Provide guidance on policies and procedures within the housing and disability units as needed/appropriate.
- J.D. or LLM degree with 5 or more years of experience in housing law.
- Experience in Social Security/SSI disability law is preferred.
- Admitted to practice in Massachusetts.
- Experience representing low-income individuals and people from diverse cultural and
- ethnic backgrounds.
- Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills.
- Team player with an ability to multitask in a fast pace environment.
- Bi-lingual highly desirable.
HOURS, SALARY, AND BENEFITS: The position is 35 hours/week. Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent fringe benefit package, including health, life, short-term disability, and long-term disability insurance, vacation, personal, and sick time, 403(b) plan, Flexible Spending Plan, training and professional development opportunities.
To Apply: Applicants should submit 1) a cover letter addressing experience and interests relevant to the position, and 2) a resume, by e-mail to John Froio, Deputy Director at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. Applicants are encouraged to apply early, as applications will be considered on a rolling basis. For more information about De Novo refer to our website. CLSACC is a Fair Employment Practices/Equal Employment Opportunity/disability accessible employer committed to maintaining a diverse workplace. Qualified candidates from diverse personal, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply.