POSITION: Temporary Housing Bilingual Paralegal (Landlord) – COVID Project
DAYS/HOURS: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM- 4:30 PM with one unpaid hour for lunch
REPORTS TO: Supervising Attorney
LOCATION: Remote and 7 Winthrop Square, Second Floor, Boston, MA 02110 (local candidates only)
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Volunteer Lawyers Project (VLP) is seeking a temporary bilingual paralegal to manage aspects of the legal and administrative functions for a Statewide Project related to COVID-19 evictions. Fluency in both English and Spanish languages is required. However, we encourage those interested to apply who are versed in other languages (oral and written), specifically those who speak Haitian Creole, Cape Verdean Creole, Portuguese, Cantonese, or Vietnamese as a large percentage of our client population is limited English proficient.
The Department of Housing & Community Development (DHCD) has engaged the Volunteer Lawyers Project to participate in a coordinated legal services delivery system to deliver free legal assistance to income eligible tenants and owner occupant landlords facing eviction issues due to COVID-19. The Project seeks to ensure that legal assistance is available to all who are eligible.
The Project will provide referrals, legal information, assistance and limited legal representation in all sittings of the Massachusetts Housing Court to preserve or achieve housing stability. The initiative will serve tenants in the greater Boston areas and income eligible owner-occupied landlords of up to a 3-family home in a statewide. The Project will provide legal assistance statewide to low-income tenants and owner-occupants who are at 200% or below the Federal Poverty Level in COVID-related eviction cases. Through the Project, trained staff and pro bono attorneys will help owner occupants and tenants as they navigate the eviction process.
This is a grant-funded position through December 31, 2022
- Completion of bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal certification program
- 1-3 years of direct paralegal or program management experience preferred
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES/SKILLS:
- Ability to commute/travel to and from courthouse locations and/or office, as needed
- Heavy use of computer programs and applications
- Ability to sit for long periods
- Ability to communicate in person, by telephone and by computer
- Fluency in English and Spanish (oral required and written desired/preferred)
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, in English and Spanish
- Careful attention to detail
- Reliable and organized
- Customer service-oriented
- Ability to independently manage multiple tasks, prioritize and meet deadlines
- Compassionate and ability to work with low-income populations and be sensitive to their legal needs and socioeconomic status
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Office
- Ability to be flexible with a sense of initiative
- Ability to navigate through the Internet, research, and locate information
- Ability to gather and present information
- Ability to independently manage caseloads of rental assistance cases
- Ability to independently manage and oversee large projects
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Develop a deep understanding of housing and landlord/tenant Law
- Manage all aspects of case management, coordination of clinics, communication with partners, clients, volunteers, interviewing of clients and fact gathering.
- Handle day-to-day administrative functions of the project, including but not limited to:
- Intake and screening for eligibility;
- Managing incoming referrals, data entry, client follow up, drafting documents;
- Managing caseload;
- Attending meetings and trainings; and
- Collaborating closely with other members of the project
- Perform other duties as needed or as directed
Volunteer Lawyers Project is committed to a diverse work environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our ideal candidates are respectful of an inclusive work environment. VLP strives to ensure that those working in our organization reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. VLP encourages applicants from a broad spectrum of backgrounds to apply for positions.